A simple Sandesh Recipe on the first Day 1 of the #GOCORONA #lockdown2020 also Day 1of Navaratri to get you started!
My most early memories of Sandesh are from when 4 or 5 years old when Grandmom’s sister would arrive from Calcutta at New Delhi Railway station with my cousins, Chacha and bua and loads of luggage for the summer vacations.
In her hand would be a plastic bag with small boxes of this beautiful Bengali delicacy which she would quickly handover to us and urge us to eat quickly lest it get spoilt in the heat. Good sandesh was a rare find in Delhi those days, of course this has changed over the years, but still at times at crave for that so soft fresh sandesh which you can only find in Bengal.
Sandesh is a simple Bengali sweet made with cottage cheese or paneer, a sweetner like gur or sugar and even sugar free or splenda these days some added flavoring. I share with you a simple Sandesh recipe I make whenever I crave Sandesh
check our favorite salad Recipe here
Easy Mango Sandesh
2 cup Grated Fresh Paneer/Cottage Cheese
2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
1Cup Mangoes cut into small pieces or Thin Fillets -( you can replace this with any fruits of your choice like strawberry/ or even oranges peeled and deseeded.) If you dont have any fruits you like just add some chopped dried fruit like Almonds, pistachios and even dates
½ tsp Cardamom Seeds
2 drops Rose water
Pistachios for Garnish
- Combine sugar, paneer, rose water, and cardamom seeds in a deep bowl and mix well. After mixing, knead well for 10 -15 minutes till it reaches a dough like consistency.
- Divide the Dough into three portions. Spread one part of the mixture on a well oiled plate approx 6” in diameter
- Arrange ½ cup of mangoes in a thin layer over this.
- Repeat the steps to make alternate layers of mango and paneer mixture ending with paneer.
- You should total have 5 layers
- Chill in fridge for minimum 2-3 hours.
- Garnish with Chopped pistachios, cut into pieces and serve
Notes- You can use any alternative sweetner like gur ka shakkar or Splenda etc to make this.
If using Splenda in the Sandesh recipe please b careful or the ratio of Sugar to Splenda powder.Its always better to add little less and taste the dough and then add more if needed